When deciding whether or not to purchase a toaster oven, many people wonder how often they will actually use it. Most people don’t realize how many fun things you can do with toaster ovens. They allow you to be creative in the kitchen, and you can quickly and easily prepare food items for any occasion. Here is a list of 15 interesting things you can do with your toaster oven.
- Dehydrate fruits and vegetables. When using your toaster oven to dehydrate foods, set the temperature to the lowest setting. Then, slice your fruits and vegetables, place them on a baking sheet, and cook for a few hours, or until the foods are completely dehydrated.
- Reheat leftovers. When reheating leftovers in the microwave, the food is often left soggy and inedible. Reheating your leftovers in your toaster oven will retain both the texture and the flavor of your food.
- Roast meat and vegetables. Unless you have a large family to cook for, you can use your toaster oven to create a delicious, healthy meal. You can roast chicken, beef, turkey, pork, or any other type of meat. Season the meat with salt, pepper, and your other favorite seasonings. Once the meat is close to being done, add your vegetables.
- Warm your plates before a meal to keep your food from getting cold. Set the temperature to low, and place your plates inside for a few minutes before you’re ready to serve the meal. Wear oven mitts when removing the plates from the toaster oven. They will be too hot to touch for a minute or two.
- Bake cookies, cakes, muffins, and/or quick breads. When you’re expecting company and just want to bake a small amount, a toaster oven can be great. In a large toaster oven, you can easily bake six cookies, or a small cake or loaf of your favorite quick bread.
- Bake a pizza. Depending on the size of your toaster oven, you can bake up to a 12 inch pizza. You can also make your own English muffin or bagel pizzas with any of your favorite ingredients.
- Make quick, delicious biscuits. Surprisingly, a toaster oven is one of the best ways to make biscuits. You will find that they are perfectly golden without becoming hard or dry.
- Heat up a side dish when your oven is already in use. When you’re cooking a meal that requires dishes to be cooked at different temperatures, your toaster oven can be very handy for heating up one dish while the main course is in your conventional oven.
- Cook bacon. Using your toaster oven to cook bacon is much easier than frying it on the stove top. You can have perfect bacon without standing over a pan that’s splashing hot grease everywhere.
- Toast subs. Assemble your favorite sub combination on a sub bun, and place it in the toaster oven until it’s heated through and the bun is lightly toasted. You can use a variety of meats and cheeses to make quick, easy homemade sub sandwiches.
- Melt pieces of broken crayons into new, larger crayons. If you have young children, this is a great way to use all those broken crayons. Remove the paper from the crayons, and place the pieces into foil muffin cups. It doesn’t matter if they’re different colors; your children will be excited to have cool multicolored crayons. Place the foil cups on a baking sheet, and put it in your toaster oven until the crayons are melted. Once they cool, remove them from the foil, and they’re ready to use.
- Roast nuts. Roasted nuts are delicious and easy to make. Toss the nuts with a small amount of oil and arrange them on a baking sheet. Season them however you like, and place them in the toaster oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Toast coconut. Many dessert recipes call for toasted coconut, and a toaster oven is one of the easiest ways to do it. Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and place it in your toaster oven until it’s golden brown.
- Make baked potatoes. Wash and thoroughly scrub the potatoes. Poke holes in both sides with a fork. Place in the toaster oven at 400 degrees for approximately one hour.
- Make croutons. Cut some slices of bread into small cubes. Toss the cubes of bread with olive oil and seasonings. Arrange the cubes of bread in a single layer on a baking sheet, and place it in your toaster oven until they become crunchy.
Toaster ovens are one of the most functional, energy efficient kitchen appliances. They’re easy to operate, and they can be used to prepare so many different items. With a little creative thinking, you can use your toaster oven for almost anything.