For many people, big isn’t always better. Singles, couples and small families may not have yards of counter space and don’t need oversized small kitchen appliances to take care of their cooking chores.
Hamilton Beach understands the need for space economy and have a perfect solution for many busy cooks. The Hamilton Beach 22708 Toastation 2-Slice Toaster and Mini Oven combines the convenience of a toaster and a counter top oven in one compact unit. With this multi-function appliance, you’ll save precious counter space as your Toastation handles both tasks with a flip of a lever.
Its design is simplicity re-invented. With one lever to switch between toasting and baking, a dial to regulate your toast darkness and another dial to set the baking temperature between 200 and 450 degrees Fahrenheit, the operation couldn’t be easier to master. No need to pore endlessly over a manual or worry about a family member not understanding the sequence to follow. It’s fast, easy, stylish and affordable.
- The Toastation’s stylish design and its cute factor. This little kitchen helper is sleek, fashionable and appealing.
- The small footprint and dual-duty functionality means it will fit in the most compact apartment, RV kitchen or boat galley.
- The top toast slot is an extra-wide 1-1/2” to accommodate bagels, English muffins and Texas toast.
- Switching from toaster to oven is simple with the pull of a lever, so its versatile for use at breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks.
- The oven temperature dial can be set at any temperature between 200 and 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The oven rack is removable and the unit comes with a bake pan.
- The dial indicator allows you to set your toast shade, so everyone’s toast will be perfect whether its golden or dark brown.
- The oven does not have a built in timer. This inconvenience is a minor issue, but one must use alternative means to time your cooking session.
- The unit does not have a dedicated on/off switch. The toaster does not turn off completely unless it is unplugged from the wall outlet.
- The oven heats up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, but it only cooks on a bake setting. It does not include a broil feature, so meats and other items that need browning are not suitable for this oven.
- The sliding plate that closes off the toaster slots is not insulated. This allows a lot of heat to escape, which is less efficient and wastes energy.
- Crumbs and other liquids or solids are caught in a crumb tray after passing through the heating element. This can cause burning, smoke and odor.
- The toast browns unevenly.
- The cage that supports the toasting function seems to be poorly designed, as food either slips through the side into the oven or becomes lodged in the holders.
Is the Hamilton Beach 22708 Worth Buying?
This compact unit is perfect for small spaces and eliminates the need for both a toaster and a toaster oven. However, when a company combines two products, they sometimes lose the qualities that made each stand-alone product great.
The simplicity the designers were trying for in this device cut down on features that many users want. There is no on/off switch, so the unit should be unplugged from the wall after each use. The space saving design creates a miniscule oven space with no headroom for even a baked potato or the width and length for a decent slice of pizza. Reports of spotty, inconsistent baking and browning indicate the heating elements are not positioned for effective cooking.
The heating unit will reach a temperature of 450 degrees Fahrenheit but the oven doesn’t have a broil feature. This limits its functionality. It also doesn’t include a timer to alert the user when it’s done baking.
The Hamilton Beach 22708 Toastation is reasonably priced for the features it offers, but a consumer must take into account its limitations and have realistic expectations before choosing this model.