The Breville BOV800XL is without a doubt the best toaster oven that money can buy. This is an incredibly versatile and technologically advanced machine that can perform just about any cooking function under the sun. Not only can it toast bread, it can also be used to broil, bake, roast, defrost, and reheat a variety of different foods. And it does all of these things extremely well. In fact, it does them so well that most people who use this toaster oven for any length of time will find themselves using their conventional range oven less and less, and perhaps not even at all.
One of the main reasons why the Breville BOV800XL is such a great toaster oven is because it utilizes a technology called Element IQ which allows it to provide the optimal amount of heat in the right areas, at the right time, depending on what type of food is being cooked. This results in perfectly cooked toast, pizza, cake, cookies, or any other dish, every single time. And on top of this, it will even adjust its settings to match your tastes and preferences. For example, if you like your toast to be cooked to a certain darkness or your meat loaf to a certain doneness, it will remember your previous settings the next time you cook those foods. The Breville BOV800XL Smart Toaster Oven true to its name, is a smart toaster oven indeed!
Moving on, let’s take a look at this toaster oven in more detail and go over its pros and cons.
- Cooks Food Very Evenly – The five heating elements of the Breville BOV800XL are unlike any other toaster oven on the market. Not only do they heat up very quickly, they also operate like a light “dimmer” switch, instead of just cycling on and off like other toaster ovens out there. This allows it to deliver the right amount of heat to the food throughout the entire cooking process. In addition, this toaster oven uses 5 heating elements – 3 on top and 2 on the bottom – for optimal heat distribution. All of this equals delicious toast that is evenly browned on both sides and perfectly cooked pizza with no burnt or uncooked spots, every single time.
- Easy to Use – This is one of the most easy-to-use toaster ovens we have ever had the pleasure of cooking with. One of the reasons is because it has a very streamlined and simple to use control panel that essentially consists of just 3 dials (one for function, another for temperature, and a third for setting the time) and a start/cancel button. The other thing that makes this toaster oven such a cinch to use is that it has pre-programmed settings for the most commonly cooked foods, such as toast, pizza, bagel, and cookies, and for common functions like broiling and baking. Just turn the dial to select which type of food you want to cook, press the start button, and the toaster oven will do the rest for you, automatically setting the temperature and cooking time for optimal results based on the particular food type you selected. And to top it all off, all of the pertinent information like the temperature and cooking time is displayed to you on a large, easy-to-read LCD screen.
- Rack Slides Out Automatically – If you’ve ever used a toaster oven before, then you know that the interior walls of the oven can get very hot after use and if you’re not careful, you can burn your hand while trying to grab the food off the rack. Well, Breville has designed their toaster oven to significantly reduce the likelihood of that happening by having the rack automatically slide out when you pull the door open. The ingenious part, though, is that they were able to accomplish this without the use of any extra mechanical parts. Instead, it’s done with the use of magnets which are placed strategically on the inside of the door, pulling the rack out as the door is opened.
- Spacious Interior – Even though it may look small, the Breville Smart Oven can accommodate just about any food or dish, with the only exception being large turkeys. We could easily fit 6 slices of toast inside, which is great for people who have large families. You can even cook a pizza as big as 13 inches with this toaster oven.
- Easy to Clean – The interior is made of a non-stick material which makes this toaster oven very easy to clean. Also, unlike a lot of the other toaster ovens out there, this one comes with a crumb tray that you remove from the front instead of from the rear. This makes it much simpler and more convenient to remove the food that tends to accumulate at the bottom of the toaster oven after several uses, like melted cheese and bread crumbs.
- Comes With Some Nice Accessories – The Breville Smart Toaster Oven comes with 3 pans: a 13″ nonstick pizza pan, a 12″ x 12″ enamel rack for broiling, and a baking pan. It also comes with a very helpful owner’s manual that has detailed and easy to read instructions on using the toaster oven. You’ll also find some fantastic recipes in the manual that you can try out for yourself; personally, we loved them!
- Superb Construction Quality – We were very impressed by the Breville BOV800XL’s build quality. It’s just a solid, well-built, and well-designed piece of machinery. Everything from its sleek, stainless steel exterior and modern looking control panel to its tight sealing door with a large easy-to-grab handle has quality and great attention to detail written all over it.
- Cord is a Bit Short – Although it’s a very minor issue, some people may find the relatively short cord (it’s a little under 3 feet in length) a bit of an inconvenience. We did have to do some slight rearranging on our countertop to get it closer to a wall outlet, but once it was set up to our liking, the cord length was never an issue after that.
Bottom Line: Should I Buy the Breville BOV800XL?
The Breville BOV800XL is a top-of-the-line toaster oven in just about every way that matters: it’s aesthetic, superbly designed and constructed, simple to use, and it will toast, bake, and broil your food quickly and evenly. What more could you want in a toaster oven? Well, if there was one thing we could ask for, I suppose it would be a cheaper price. This toaster oven may not fit inside everyone’s budget, but if you are someone who desires quality above all else and you are willing to pay a bit more to get it, then it’s a no-brainer – the Breville BOV800XL Smart Toaster Oven is the one for you.