Breville has come up with a way of preparing food that addresses the different requirements a family finds in daily cooking. Morning toast, afternoon grilled cheese sandwiches, supper’s broiled fish and evening chocolate chip cookies all call for different heat intensities and points of origin. The Breville BOV450XL Mini Toaster Oven with Element IQ ensures your recipes are all cooked to perfection.
Whether you need to save space in a small kitchen or don’t want to heat up a full-size oven to bake a few pieces of pizza, this compact and sleek toaster oven takes on many tasks other countertop ovens can’t handle. It’s also a breeze to use, and the easy to read dial and settings are intuitive so it’s easy for everyone in the family to use.
- The Breville Mini Toaster Oven uses four quartz, 1800-Watt elements for its cooking source. Quartz reacts more quickly to heat fluctuations than standard heating elements, so the even heating is maintained throughout the interior. The Element IQ function of the Breville oven acts as a rheostat to increase or decrease the power wattage by simply moving the dial. This allows customized cooking for various types of meals and products.
- Preset cooking options include cookies, reheating, pizza, bagels, toast, baking, broiling and roasting. These settings can be used as-is, or they can be customized to personal preference and the quantity of food to be cooked. These customized settings stay in the unit’s memory until the specification is changed or the oven is unplugged.
- Another feature not often found in countertop ovens is a moveable rack. This model has three rack positions, so whether you’re baking cookies or broiling a thick steak, you’ll be able to set your food in the optimum cooking position.
- The removable rack will accommodate a 10”x10” broiler tray or baking pan and an 11” round pizza pan. It will also hold four slices of bread.
- The exterior is reinforced stainless steel with a powder coating and the interior is sealed with a non-stick surface, so the entire oven is easy to keep clean.
- Can be used for toasting and quickly reheating prepared convenience items or set for long term baking and roasting. It has extended cooking times, so you can bake a potato or even a small roast.
- The oven has a feature that extends the cooking time by a small amount, so you can easily have items baked just the way you want them.
- The crumb tray easily removes from the front of the oven for ease in cleaning.
- The backlit LCD screen shows time and temperature, and indicates the preheating cycle and the end of cycle with easy to read orange and blue illumination.
- The warning buzzer is loud, so it’s easily heard from a distance or over a noisy family or television program.
- The useable height of the interior is slightly less than four inches, so really thick casseroles or large baked potatoes won’t fit inside.
- The warning buzzer is louder than some customers think is appropriate.
- The large front handle, which is used to hold the door in a flat position, protrudes two inches onto the counter space. Some consumers with very small kitchens report this takes up valuable counter area they cannot afford to lose.
- The tray does not pull out automatically when the door is opened. One must always have a potholder available to pull it out manually.
- The timing unit begins as soon as the oven reaches the preset temperature. This means that you need to be ready to pop your item into the oven the instant the unit reaches the proper cooking heat. It does not have a manual adjustment to begin timing when you put your meal in to cook.
- The exterior surface of the oven gets quite hot, so make sure not to place plastic on or near the surfaces.
This oven has many features and variable power from 1500-Watts to 1800-Watts. It uses a quartz heating element that gives even, consistent cooking, and there are no hot or cold spots in the interior. The small size makes it perfect for heating and cooking small portions, and it can be used to bake or roast over a longer period of time than many brand toaster ovens. This model is the smallest in the Breville line of toaster ovens, so if you’re looking for something that can do more than just toast bread and sandwiches then you may want to upgrade to the larger BOV650XL.
The Breville BOV450XL is not an inexpensive toaster oven, but it has enough features and functions that make it worth the investment. It gets solid reviews and very few owners have big complaints. The problems seem to be mostly small ones that are personal preferences rather than design flaws.